Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 12:10:49 -0700
From:      Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
To:        chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Telnet problem under 4.1-RC

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:58:32 PDT, "Chad R. Larson" wrote:

>Check your /etc/host.conf file to see if you're using the /etc/hosts
>file before the nameserver ("hosts" ahead of "bind").  If so, check
>for a valid entry in your hosts file.

I tried various combinations in /etc/host.conf, even eliminating the
"hosts" entry entirely.  (All the correct host addrs are also listed in
/etc/hosts, even localhost.)  It unfortunately makes no difference for
telnet which still refuses to lookup the hostname.  Screwy.

I'm running the standard/default FBSD /etc/host.conf file as
built/installed by mergemaster, which appears to be the same as what's
under /usr/src/etc/host.conf.

	-- Parag Patel