Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 17:32:21 +0900
From:      junichi@astec.co.jp (Satoh Junichi)
To:        jeays@statcan.ca
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, junichi@astec.co.jp
Subject:   Re: ATAPI Zip drive

> I downloaded 2.2.6-RELEASE, and upgraded my 2.2.1 system with no
> trouble - the /etc/fstab changes are handled very well.  Everything
> seems to work well, with the exception of my Iomega Zip 100MB ATAPI
> drive.
>
> My second IDE controller has a CD-ROM as master, and the Zip drive
> as slave.  They are both detected at boot time,as below:

> wfd0: medium type unknown (no disk)  ## There WAS a disk in it! ##

No problem. The wfd driver always says so when it found the ATAPI ZIP
drive. I have to add code to probe ZIP correctly. (^^;
#The wfd driver shows correct messages when it found the LS-120 drive.

I have a ATAPI ZIP drive now. I'm adding some code for the ZIP drive
to the wfd driver. After it, I'll feedback to FreeBSD.

> When I attempt to mount either the CD-ROM or the ZIP drive, mount
> hangs, and I have to interrupt it with ctrl-C.  If I do this
> a second time, the system crashes.  (X stops.  Attempts to
> log on through another tty don't work - characters entered after
> the login prompt just get echoed to the screen.  It is big red
> switch time!)

Hmm...  I don't know why.
I'll test if the ZIP drive works well with a CD-ROM drive.

Now, the ATAPI ZIP drive works with the wfd driver, but the driver may
have some problems on ZIP support.

> If I disconnect the CD-ROM and make the Zip drive the master,
> things seems a tiny bit better.  When I attempt a disklabel, I get:
>
> /home/mike% disklabel -r -w wfd0 auto
> disklabel: /dev/rwfd0c: Undefined error: 0
> The light on the drive blinks once.
It occurs when the ZIP disk has incorrect fdisk informatinos.
You need to execute 'fdisk wfd0' and create the FreeBSD slice on the
first time.

> mount -t msdos /dev/wfd0 /mnt  doesn't work either.
Try 'mount -t msdos /dev/wfd0s4 /mnt'.
                         ^^^^^^
---
Junichi