Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:25:04 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        nzp@riseup.net, joel@vnode.se
Subject:   Re: Vim and Vim-lite ports broken options

(Please keep me CC'd as I'm not subscribed to -ports)

Yup, it's all broken.  I use vim-lite myself; the solution I found
is to drop this into /etc/make.conf:

.if ${.CURDIR:M*/editors/vim-lite}
WITH_VIM_OPTIONS=yes
.endif

Then "cd /usr/ports/editors/vim-lite ; make config", make sure
everything is de-selected, and it should be fine from there; the only
dependencies at that point will be libiconv and libtool.  This causes
the port to use the OPTIONS framework.

Do not ask me why this flag exists, as from what I can discern the
standard OPTIONS framework should suffice without "sub-knobs".  I get
the impression the driving force is to induce a non-interactive
behaviour, e.g. what BATCH "sort of" used to do (not sure if it still
does).

There seems to be an unspoken reluctance upon the part of a single
committer who also happens to maintain very key/important ports.  A
similar situation happened with shells/bash, prompting shells/bash-devel
to be created/maintained by someone else.  There are public discussions
about that, multiple times:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-May/083948.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-January/080336.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-January/080363.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2013-January/080656.html

The key/major discussion I cannot find right now (maybe it wasn't on -ports,
that's all I looked at, and only for the word "bash").

P.S. -- Unrelated to this matter, but the patch count for 7.3 is now up
to 1278 (i.e. the submitted patch count is up to 1278):

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/vim_dev

Bram should be completely and totally ashamed (all while simultaneously
blabbing about "too many patches", "test 7.4 in May", yet there is no
such thing anywhere); a very sad state of affairs for such an important
editor.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |