Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:33:57 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@bloke.statsci.com>
To:        me <root@corecom.net>
Cc:        The Devil Himself <fullermd@narcissus.ml.org>, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HD is full w/o X

me <root@corecom.net> wrote:
> The HD sure seemed to fill up fast though. I must have clicked on
> something that I am not aware of.

Well, you could start doing some poking around looking for large files or
directories. Assuming you don't have to worry about commands wandering off
to network drives, you could do some things like this:

    du -k / | sort -rn

to find directories with lots of content under them.  Or like this:

    find / -size +500000 -ls

(does FreeBSD have a '-ls' switch for find?  If not use

    find / -size +500000 -print | xargs ls -ld

) to find files over 500000 bytes (I think that's the default unit) in
size.  And see if there's any hints in the names turned up?

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org