Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:30:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
To:        Brad Hall <haws@ender.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Brad Hall wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 01:59:16PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > I'm trying to gete my Ultra-60 installed (2 procs, 1G ram, 2x18G scsi
> > disks).  I can't get off square 1: the intro screen asks me which of 5
> > options to choose for the screen, and none, not one, of them works well
> > enough for me to be able to navigate at all.  I have a PGX64 graphics
> > card, that's what I want to use, but none of the options work.
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm tried them all now.  The line graphics do not work anywhere.  The only
> > one the looks even vaguely line a menu is #4, but even there, you cannot
> > use the cursor keys, you have to use the letters ... the trouble is, the
> > programmers evidently decided that a user would choose to use the moving
> > highlighting to choose, but that feature doesn't work, and the letters are
> > simply wrong, they aren't what you'd expect.
> >

> For future reference: using the number keys worked well for me on my ultra5.
> If there is 7 options in the menu, press 5 and it hi-lights the 5th option,
> and from there you can press enter .. etc.

I ran out of time before, I couldn't get the Ultra-60 installed.  I'll be
making my second attempt sometime in the next few days, I've been hoping
that someone will have done something sane, which will actually allow one
to INSTALL the software.

> -Brad

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).