Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:46:59 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why does hal think my USB devices are fixed?

--=-MnxCRU8VYfv/TRaQFHTx

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 11:04 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> Fixed as opposed to removable.  hal used to see these USB=20
> devices--USB memory sticks, memory cards in a reader--as removable=20
> devices.  Which they are.
>=20
> Same computer, same config that used to automount these devices as=20
> removable, but now FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 and hal says they are fixed devices:
>=20
> org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-fixed no <-- (action, result).
>=20
> Is this be due to the USB system?

I have stopped development of hal-0.5.11.  I have put a lot of work into
the upcoming 0.5.13 release to fix numerous issues with USB detection.
I have been getting good results on -CURRENT with various USB sticks.
You may want to give that a try.  You can get the port from the ports
module at http://www.marcuscom.com:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi .

Joe

--=20

--=-MnxCRU8VYfv/TRaQFHTx