Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 96 09:35:29 +0100
From:      "John Richards" <john@zyqad.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   More questions following SUCCESSFUL Installation

Hello all,

Thanks for all the answers to my previous question regarding Hitachi Atapi
CDrom and FreeBSD.  I now have my machine up and working.  The details are:

Intel 486DX33
Pine Technology VESA Mbd
8MB memory - 8 * 30 pin 1MB chips
200MB Western Digital IDE HD - primary master, DOS + FreeBSD with boot manager
250MB WD IDE HD - primary slave, FreeBSD with boot manager
1.2 GB WD IDE HD - secondary master, FreeBSD
Hitachi 4x Atapi CDROM - secondary slave
3.5" Floppy
Pine Technology 1MB VESA Cirrus graphics card

Quite an old machine but it does the job.

Once I got the hardware configured correctly the installation was a doddle
except that I forgot to install the sources to rebuild the kernel and so had to
redo part of it.  It even runs X11 although it doesn't drive the 1024x768
resolution cleanly.

Questions:

1.  On the 200MB disk I used to have all my home directory stuff when I had
1.1.5.1 working.  I appear to have remade the disklabel on this slice (stupid I
know) during the installation.  Is there any way I can recover the information
from this disk?  Currently it is mounted as two partitions /olddisk1 and
/olddisk2 but both of these show as empty.  Yet the disk used to have data on it
and probably still does as I haven't written anything new to it (disklabel
excepted).  And Yes I know I should have backed up the things I wanted to keep
but I didn't and I didn't intend to make a new filesystem on that slice but
accidents will happen - especially if you are impatient.

2.  My /etc/services file is very small having only 5 entries.  Is this correct?
The machine I'm  writing this from - a DEC alpha 3000 has a much larger services
file.  I assume that once I get my FreeBSD box connected to the net I'm going to
have to add the services as needed - n'est pas?

3.  To get Sendmail, DNS, TCP/IP, PPP etc working do I just install the
appropriate package?

4.  How do I make use of the live filesystem disk?  Does this mean that I don't
need to install all packages that I want if I only want some occasionally?

5.  Any hints about clearing up the flutter on X11 at high resolution
appreciated.

All help much appreciated especially to question 1.

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)
John Richards                           * email : john@zyqad.co.uk
Zyqad Ltd,                              *
Suite 25, GPT Business Park,            *
Technology Drive, Beeston               * tel   : +44 115 922 0820
NOTTINGHAM. NG9 2ND.                    * fax   : +44 115 967 8374