Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:20:35 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        "i think" <i.think@harrisburgacademy.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: identd

At 10:10 AM 7/3/1999 -0400, i think wrote:
 >I have a FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE machine acting as the gateway between my LAN (
 >with some win9x/NT machines ) and the internet.  As you well know, most irc
 >servers require ident to be running.  Is there a way I can have the freebsd
 >machine respond for the windows computers? Possibly returning the same value
 >no matter what.

What I did was set up a Socks5 proxy and have the mIRC users use that. When
identd requests are made, the user returned is whatever user the Socks5
proxy is running as. (this means you have to make sure that the Socks5
daemon isn't running as root, or else a lot of IRC servers or channels will
kick them.)

--Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>