Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:25:30 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, Chern Lee <chern@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bad Drivers

Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 6:23 AM +0000 9/30/01, Kris Kirby wrote:
>
> >  Shoot, you should have see the local city cop at midnight in
> >  after-festival traffic... Jumped three lanes at 65 -- in a 50. No lights,
> >  no turn-signals ... just jumped.
>
>         Sometimes I wonder about emergency services personnel.  For
> example, do they appreciate or even known what some citizens do on
> their behalf?

Foster City occasionally runs the fire engine with the lights and
sirens, followed a few seconds later by a cop car, which pulls
over an tickets drivers who do not pull over or otherwise yield
right of way to emergency vehicles.

I have a friend who is the driver on a paramedic fire engine.
If you stop at a light in front of him when he needs to go
though, and you do not run the light on his behalf, if that is
the only way to get the hell out of the way, he will edge the
truck up behind you, and _push_ your car through the red light
to the other side of the intersection (assuming you don't get
the point and start moving yourself).

I, for one, am absolutely tickled pink about this: if he were
responding to an emergency involving me, or someone I cared
about, I would be very, very glad that he's willing to do this
(I _am_ very, very glad that he's willing to do this, even
without that, in fact).

-- Terry