Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 01:55:46 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling a New Kernel

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:44:57AM +0100, Jamie Heckford wrote:
> Being one of these difficult people who like sticking to the old way of d=
oing things, im still compiling my kernel the old way
> (config KERNELNAME; cd ../../KERNELNAME; make depend; make ; make install=
) :P
>=20
> I picked up a rumour on the mailing lists that this may no longer work in=
 future/recent releases?

It's fine when you're rebuilding your kernel with the same sources as
your installed world, but if you upgrade your sources and want to
build the kernel then this method WILL NOT WORK in all cases (and
there have been cases in the past when it would not work).  This is
why 'make buildkernel' and friends were introduced; they are
guaranteed [1] to work properly in all cases.  The exact steps are
documented in the handbook.

Kris

[1] Modulo /COPYRIGHT :-)

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg