Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 10:30:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
To:        Tomasz Paszkowski <ns88@genesis.k.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broken nfs client

TP>  I have 4.1.1-STABLE from 20001007, before the upgrade evrything works
TP>  fine. Now I'am reciving a hundreds of information:

TP>  nfs server not responding
TP>  nfs server is alive again

I started getting these recently as well.  My workstation tends to
just lock up for a few minutes then resume where it left off.

I can run many things that don't require my home directory during
these times (home dir is NFS mounted), and tcpdump shows some traffic
to the ethernet.  Netstat shows nothing blocked for send/receive most
of the time this happens.  After a while, I see a big flurry of NFS
traffic, and then it just continues like nothing is wrong.

I can ping the NFS server but have severe packet loss, and nslookups
using that same machine as the DNS server don't respond.

The only error logged is nfs server not responding.

It only seems to happen when I'm doing something big like make
buildworld or "make readmes" in /usr/ports.  The buildworld uses the
NFS server for /usr/obj, but /usr/ports is totally local to this
machine, which makes it confusing that NFS would be involved.

If the machine is just running XEmacs and other desktop crud, it never
has the NFS server problems.

I never had this problem prior to recent 4.1-S builds (about two
weeks).