Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:18:07 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        gibbs@plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs), julian@whistle.com, guido@gvr.org, dkelly@hiwaay.net, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: filesystem safety and SCSI disk write caching

>I am not presuming to be an expert on SCSI.  I *am* presuming to
>tell you that Don's experiences, and my own, contradict your
>interpretation of the spec.

No.  You are throwing FUD, unrelated to Don's 'experiences' onto
the list.  One of the comments I was complaining about was this:

>Perhaps they realized that the mpst likely event after a power
>fluctuation was a bus reset, and figured "why bother?".

This has nothing to do with Don's issue at all.  It is also completely
faulty logic.

>Jumping down my throat about intepretation of the spec. because
>the empirically observed behaviour contradicts your knowledge
>of the spec. (I do not question that your knowledge of the spec.
>far exceeds mine) resolves nothing.

The behavior does not contradict my 'interpretation of the spec'.
Devices violate the spec all the time, but that is a totally different
issue.

>I personally still think it has something to do with what happens
>when the controller POSTs.
>
>I would like to see the following from Don before we simply accept
>a "magic power glitch":

Unless you insist on being argumenative about this, it doesn't matter
why or how the cache is invalidated because Don has already decided
to turn off his cache.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing more to be gained by this
discussion, so I'm going to ignore anything else on this thread.

>As a datapoint, I have an NCR controller, and the problem occurs
>on my external SyJet 1.5G drive, which, by definition, has its own
>power supply, which I would be hard pressed to believe was affected
>by my hitting the front panel reset but on my seperately supplied
>computer.

I do not know what the NCR chips do on POST, nor do I have any experience
with the SyJet to know if it has reasonable firmware.  This is not a
'datapoint' for Don's experience because it is a totally unrelated
device.

--
Justin