Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:19:59 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYSINIT for userland?

* Alexander N. Kabaev <ak03@gte.com> [010125 12:16] wrote:
> Will functions marked with __attribute__((__constructor__)) or
> __attribute__((__destructor__)) satisfy your needs?
> Compiler will insert calls to these functions gets into .init section of the
> resulting ELF module which in turn will be called automatically at the program
> startup time. I do not remember exactly, but there might be even priority
> parameter you can specify with these attributes to manage the order in which
> these functions will be called.

Actually, the order can be kludged by just having these __constructors__
sort themselves into a list.  Then all you need is a function call
in main() to actually start these puppies up. :)

It's still a bit off what I was looking for which would be putting
these hooks into shared libaries hinged on pthread initialization,
dns init, etc...