Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:06:01 +0200
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Preventing ntpd from adjusting time (backwards)

Hi,

Some coarse reading of ntpd(8) and ntp.conf(5) doesn't lead me to believe it's
possible to make ntpd *not* adjust the time. With adjust I don't mean the skew
operation, but really change the time. Backwards is my primary concern but if
it can be turned off completely it's fine with me.

Reason being dovecot bailing out when this happens:
Apr  1 16:18:26 squish ntpd[1353]: time reset -6.711955 s

Apr  1 16:18:26 mx1 dovecot: Fatal: Time just moved backwards by 6 seconds.
This might cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill myself now.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards

--
Mel