Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:33:48 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith), mestery@winternet.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with my Wincast, fxtv

>From The Desk Of Luigi Rizzo :
> > Amancio Hasty stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Next release of the sound driver will not use isa_dmastatus from isa.c
> > > rather I will duplicate the functionality in the sound driver.
> >
> > Am I the only person that thinks that this is unbelievably stupid?
> >
> > All of a sudden, the sound drivers are the only kernel subsystem that
> > need PnP support, and now ISA DMA support too?  Please spare a few
> > seconds thought for the integrity of the system as a whole, rather
> > than as a vehicle for your pet projects...
>
> I think amancio has to fight with backward compatibility, that's
> why he wants to ship a standalone driver (guspnpXX.tgz) with all the
> pieces he needs. BUt of course, in the long term, Mike is right.
>
> 	Cheers
> 	Luigi

Well, it has been over a year since Sujal Patel put out his PnP patches
which we can use for the sound driver as well as other devices. In this
case no one has taken the incentive to push the technology. Few
hackers express any interest at all on PnP at the time that Sujal and I
where working on the PnP code. Nevertheless , we are thinking about the
rest of the system and Luigi is leading the effort to iron out the
PnP interface.

As for ISA DMA support, the sound drivers from day one have used the isa dma
subsystem. In order to support linux applications such as xquake
and for improved sound support we were forced to add isa_dmastatus
which Luigi was kind to provide. The contributed code naturally
didn't break the sound driver functionality however the version
that made into current did. At the very least someone should
have consulted someone in the multimedia group to see if this
was okay to change .

As part of the guspnp sound driver release , the linux emulation
has been modified to support the sound driver 3.5 ioctl. I can't
check that version in because the changes are specific to support
the sound driver 3.5 ioctl interface which is not present in FreeBSD.XXXX
sound driver release.

	Amancio