Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2016 18:20:50 -0700
From:      Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org" <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ? about kernel size..
References:  <CAPKZHbVyPji-bZwDzM77TN6qybjRcf%2BZe5r6WZmbG98LkhT-rg@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfriqr24Lh9ZuptaC0gEm6gAV6LN9XHcVAJtbyaBejEgNg@mail.gmail.com> <CAPKZHbW%2BG7WnSU__yeYBVPqs8MPmFm-5q_wM4sm9FxHhEEgPDg@mail.gmail.com> <1457473674.1406.46.camel@freebsd.org> <CAPKZHbX8BXKC_=8PPvtasqE%2BRj96_mPQkqdRt=hqU6fazxpPfA@mail.gmail.com> <CAJ-Vmo=yW0=VHkjed8NYxRmE7dqtd8=bN8KLmav9-bBEZ-U1YQ@mail.gmail.com>

I tend to agree with your comments.

I'm not certain that getting a microkernel is all that much use anymore.
Sure they are tight, small and for some implementations time deterministic.
But, the point is rapidly approaching where requirements are saturating
what they can do.

I've worked on the following microkernels: uTasker, ThreadX, ENEA Ose. But,
each one has positives and negatives. But, the needs are starting to
outweigh the positives and grow the negatives.

For example, we have a requirement to implement SSL/TLS, BTLE, and ftp on a
microkernel. By the time this is done, it will be worthwhile to look at
alternatives. Not to mention, the needs just keep coming.

-brad w.