Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 14:33:01 +0200
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <r0m@taunus-biker.de>
To:        "Andrew Reid" <andrew.reid@plug.cx>, "Sascha Lucky Luck" <bofh@online.ie>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mail Toaster CLUSTER

Hi there,

[Load-Balancing a Mailcluster, how to deliver Mail?!]

> The file system where the user accounts live must then be shared
> between the different mail servers. We mounted that from a Network
> Appliance Filer cluster, so that was pretty safe to begin with.

If you use an NAS for such things, check out that the IMAP and
delivery-Software is able to work with it...

Afaik there was the talk of Cyrus, which storage is not NFS-aware.
Maildir seems to be the only solution, so Courier should be
the choice.

> User account information needs to either reside on the shared FS or
> must be duplicated (eg. rdist) between the machines.

We are using a replicated MySQL DB on every mailserver in the
cluster, which is more in-time as rdist (imho).

> If you are connected to the server that failed you'll have to
> reconnect. Otherwise the user will never notice a server failure.

If there's a professional solution at the Loadbalancer-Level, you
will never connect to a failed server.

> >    - andrew
> HTH,
> s.

Just the same ;)

Oliver
--
-- http://www.nextra.de - INTERNET@WORK ----- oliver.blasnik@nextra.de --
 Nextra Deutschland     | Oliver Blasnik      Senior System Administrator