Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:23:06 +0000
From:      Dominic Marks <dom@helenmarks.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing/Upgrading Ports

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 13:59:38 +0000
"Suhail Choudhury" <suhailc@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why trying to install ports via "sysinstall -> customise -> ports",
> whichever location I try, I get the following message:

Most people avoid sysinstall where possible :-)

> How can I install the ports directory on 6.1-RELEASE-p10?

# cd /usr
# fetch ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz
# tar xzf ports.tar.gz
# rm ports.tar.gz

You should then use csup to update this ports tree:

# cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile /your/place/
# csup -h cvsup.xx.freebsd.org /your/place/ports-supfile

1. Replace xx with your two letter country code. Of if you have
no luck with your country, try a neighbour.

2. If you don't have csup installed then you can install it
from ports first:

# cd /usr/ports/net/csup && make install

3. Installing and learning portaudit and portupgrade (from
ports) is also a good idea.

> Regards,
> Suhail.

HTH,