Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:58:58 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How did upgrading applications happen before portupgrade etc?

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:33:22 -0700
Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 03:02:53PM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >> 5.  pkg_delete port
> >
> > I see. In step 5, "pkg_delete port" wont work if port is required
> > by others right? So you delete those apps too? Could be a lot of
> > stuff to uninstall, right?
>
> Absolutely correct.  That might seem like a nightmare to most people,
> but to me it's not.

It's not correct,  "pkg_delete -f" can force the deletion. I would
manually upgrade a port like this:

cd /usr/ports/misc/foo
make   ; do the build
pkg_info -qO misc/foo ; get old package name
pkg_create -b <old-package-name>  ; backup existing package
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/foo stop ; stop the daemon if needed
pkg_delete -f <old-package-name>  ; force removal
make install
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/foo start ; start the daemon if needed
make clean
rm <back-up package>