Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 15:22:12 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mother.sneaker.net.au>
To:        jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org (Jamil J. Weatherbee)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Mirroring

+-----[ Jamil J. Weatherbee ]------------------------------

| Would a software RAID implementation be able to cope with having a drive
| removed?

The last implementation I saw of software RAID on Solaris didn't
(about two years ago).

It wouldn't boot from the secondary drives, it wouldn't run if one of
the disks were missing, it wouldn't gracefully continue if the second
drive died. It would mirror to the second drive, but, that's about it.
It wouldn't re-synch the disks correctly either when you finally got
around to replacing one of them. (The primary disk always had to be
the current one, so if it died, you had to swap the ID on that, and
add in a new one as the secondary).

I haven't seen if it got any better since then, and I haven't had any
experiences with any other RAID packages, so I don't know what else is
out there.

--
  ,-_|\  SneakerNet       |     Andrew Milton    |    GSM: +61(41)6 022 411
 /     \ P.O. Box 154     |  akm@sneaker.net.au  |    Fax: +61(2) 9746 8233