Date:      Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:18:39 -0400
From:      Carl Chave <carl@chave.us>
To:        Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org>
Cc:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serial console trouble: loader and login works, but no kernel  messages

Did you try booting with the keyboard disconnected from the FreeBSD
machine?  Perhaps the vidconsole is favored when a keyboard is
detected?

On a linux box I had, I would get serial output from Grub, lose it
during kernel load and then get a login once the OS was up, much like
what you describe.  I had to add a kernel argument to my Grub config
so the kernel would output to the serial port.

Did you look here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/console-server/freebsd.html

I think 7.2 might be what you are missing but I can't check it myself.

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Thomas Backman<serenity@exscape.org> wrote=
:

> On Aug 23, 2009, at 20:25, Tim Judd wrote:
>
>> On 8/23/09, Thomas Backman <serenity@exscape.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> First off: Not subscribed to this list, please make sure to Cc me if
>>> you don't reply directly. :)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I finally got my null modem cable, and plugged in in between a
>>> machine running 8.0-BETA2 and one running WinXP using Hyperterminal.
>>>
>>> My settings:
>>>
>>> /boot/loader.conf:
>>> boot_multicons=3D"YES"
>>> boot_serial=3D"YES"