Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 18:56:09 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding to periodic/weekly

Sue Blake wrote:

> Put it in a numbered file under /usr/local/etc/periodic/weekly/

That's what I'd do.

So? Nobody said you couldn't :-)

>  - Path is already in rc.conf but doesn't exist, not sure why not used

It's in there so that if you create it, it will Just Work[tm]. Probably.
It's not used because the base system doesn't put anything under
/usr/local -- that's for local things and ports.

>  - Can't find doc on its use, e.g. run in path order? unique numbers required?

Read /usr/sbin/periodic -- it's only a shell script. Unique numbers are
not required, they're just so that you can specify which order things
should be run in easily. You don't need to put numbers on the front of
the filenames. The files in that directory are run in whatever order
"$dir/*" expands to, which will just be ascending numerical order if you
name the files in the same way the files under /etc/periodic are named.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and