Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 2014 09:55:23 +0000
From:      precutcolours@mailcan.com
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install Tips for Newbie with FreeBSD 10

OK .. I should clarify. The whole point of the flash stick is to isolate
the Apple Partition Table problem. I need GUID tables on all other
disks. These must be used by other machines. The flash stick can stay
put on its assigned box. (For booting that alone, there's no particular
benefit to GUID tables, as you say.)

Next, I gather at least one UFS partition holds the BSD kernel. OK. So I
can't boot FreeBSD straight from ZFS on PowerPC?

Am I correct that the min install on the flash stick would be GRUB2
pointing to a boot kernel on a UFS partition someplace else?

Since I can't use ZFS for the kernel anyway, would it be better to put
the UFS-kernel partition on the flash stick itself, with the rest of BSD
on some ZFS partition?

I would already have the partition tables made, it's just a question of
populating and filesystems. I do not see a need to ask FreeBSD to make
the partition tables. I could have the filesystems already done, too, so
the installer could just populate. I dislike the notion of installing
one place, then divvying up. On Linux there is usually a menu-driven
scheme to assign /tmp, /var, /home and such wherever during install. I
assume FreeBSD 10 has something equivalent.

> FreeBSD project is not currently providing prebuilt PowerPC packages

Thanks for that sad tip. I was waiting on v 10 binary packaging. I was
aware of all the meltdowns in recent months. So even with the new v 10,
I must build all packages on PowerPC from source, like Gentoo Linux? Has
the BSD team any ETA/plans on binary package support for PowerPC
(weeks/months/years/never)?

Thanks again.