Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:40:27 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Review fix for ia64/48024

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:16:40PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:

> The following changes are proposed to: rtld-elf
>
> - factor out alloc_fptrs into a function of its own
> - update the fptrs array of the defining object rather than the
>   referencing object
> - We use the same algorithm to index fptrs array now in
>   make_function_pointer and reloc_non_plt_obj.
>
> Issues:
>
> - Is it possible to make an out of bounds access to the fptr array ?

Yes. nchains depends on the number of symbols exposed to to the
dynamic linker (ie the number of symbols that can be found though
the hash table). This is generally less than the actual number of
symbols in the symbol table and thus the index of the symbol in
the symbol table of the defining load module.

I'm also not sure if allocating an array of pointers is optimal,
but that's a seperate issue.