Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 13:35:24 +0200
From:      "Ron Klinkien" <ron@zappa.demon.nl>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Athlon Power and FreeBSD-STABLE experiences.

I have no questions but just a write down of my experience
with installing fbsd on a fast new system, maybe it helps others.

In another attempt to get rid of my M$ desktop at home
-and run FreeBSD Gnome instead-
I set my mind to upgrading my motherboard/cpu/mem/disk
(from ASUS P2B-S/PII 333Mhz/128Mb/9.1Gb SCSI/Geforce 2 MX)

After browsing through some hardware forums I choose for:
ABit KT7A, Athlon TBird 1.2Ghz/133FSB, 256MB PC133 mem
and IBM Deskstar 60GXP (IC35L040) 40Gb ATA100 disk.

(Note: I didn't browse the FreeBSD archives for this combination
before hand, maybe I'd pick another combo after the following
experience.)

First I installed Win98SE to test my setup and configure my BIOS.
(Just to test my hardware and measure cpu temp/fan speed etc quickly
believe me ;-)
All modest settings and no overclocking. (12x 100Mhz) (cpu temp at 45C)
It installed and runned without any problem whatsoever.

I then tried to install FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE from CD, the install failed
when installing hunk 31 of the bin set. I got "write failed..."

Tried an old FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE CD and it installed fine
strange enough. But after rebooting I got "UDMA ICRC switching back to PIO4"
errors. ;-(((((

Searching the fbsd archives I found alot of people with VIA 686 chips
which had the same problems. Forcing to PIO mode is a no-no for me,
-I didn't buy an UDMA100 disk/ctrl for nothing.-
And using spiffy new hardware and correct 80-wire cables and everything,
I decided to upgrade via cvsup to 4.3-STABLE, and build world/kernel,
this all went fine. (With PIO mode enabled temporary)

And after rebooting all the UDMA problems were gone!!

But I got one new problem; the infamous "microuptime() went backwards error"
came to the scene.

Browsed the mailing archive again, setting apm0 to disabled didn't solve it.
I had to remove the apm0 line completely from my kernel config to get rid
of the error.

After this (a few hours later), all worked fine, did a complete
build/install of ports XFree-4
and Gnome-1.4 without any problems.

But i'm a bit dissapointed that fbsd gave me so much problems installing and
forcing me to disabled parts of it's functionality...

Maybe I upgrade to current someday to make use of the new apci code.

Anyone have the same experiences?

Regards,
Ron.