Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 1997 23:54:31 +0100
From:      "Helmut F. Wirth" <hfwirth@ping.at>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Updates for Quantum ATLAS, a question

Hello,
I have a problem with a new Quantum ATLAS XP32150W (2GB, Wide). Since
there was some talk about firmware upgrades I thought to ask about
my problem. The problem is *not* a FreeBSD problem, but see below:

My SCSI configuration:
AHA 2940U (Not wide!), BIOS 1.23, 7880 chipset
Quantum ATLAS XP31250 (An older 2GB model, NOT wide), works fine
IBM OEM 1GB (Older disk), works fine
Quantum ATLAS XP31250W has a problem, see below
Plextor 12x CDROM works fine
HP 6020 CD Writer, works fine
IOMEGA JAZ drive, works fine
Archive Viper Tape (SCSI I) works fine.
The XP31250W has an adapter attached, so I can use it on an 8 bit
SCSI bus.

The problem: Adaptec BIOS identifies the ATLAS wide, no error messages.
But when I try to access it under DOS or Win95, the communication seems
to be bad. The ASPI8DOS-driver reports an INT13 routing failure. If I
use programs like EZSCSI to look at the mode pages or at the inquiry
response I only get nonsense. The second inquiry made by the ASPI8DOS-
Driver does not work too, there is nonsense in the response string.
It seems the communication between disk and hostadapter is not correct.
(Termination is NOT a problem, I checked this. I used a new short
cable with the disk as the only device, terminated, and the problem
was exactly the same. The rest of the devices on the bus works fine,
the Plextor CDROM is normally the last device on the cable and it has
an active termination.)

BUT: Under FreeBSD-2.1.7 the disk works fine !!!

With my old NCR810 adapter, the disk works under DOS and Win95, as
expected. With an older Adaptec AHA 2940, BIOS Version 1.21 the disk
works too.

I think the problem lies with the Adaptec BIOS. I wrote to them, but
they were not helpful. Support only said to try a new cable (I did
this), try out different BIOS settings, etc.

Since FreeBSD uses its own script, the problem does not occur there and
this hints strongly at the BIOS.

Has anybody seen this problem, or heard of it ? Any solutions or hints ?
Do I need a firmware upgrade for my Quantum ATLAS ? I fetched all the
files and the tools from ftp.qtnm.com, but there is no information
which disks (serial numbers, revisions) are to upgrade. Since I am
aware that I easily can render my disk unusable I am very unsure
about what to do. Has somebody more information ?

Thanks for any help!

--
Helmut F. Wirth
Email: hfwirth@ping.at