Date:      Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:42:09 -0400
From:      "Christian S ." <cschreiber@netrail.net>
To:        root <root@deicide.alntn1.tx.home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

This may not be the answer that you are looking for, but why not plug the cable modem to your BSD box, stick another NIC in it, and have the 2nd NIC connect to the uplink on the
hub and everything else connect to the hub? This way, it should solve the problem, and you can NAT/Firewall your network to boot! :)

Christian

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:11:35PM -0500, root babbled:
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:11:35 -0500 (CDT)
> From: root <root@deicide.alntn1.tx.home.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>
> I am having bandwidth issues with my freeBSD
> Operating system.
> I am attempting to setup 3 computers through
> a hub.  When I plug my @home cable modem
> directly into the FreeBSD computer I get
> about 300kb download, but if I plug it into
> the hub (Even with NO other computers plugged
> into the huh) it goes down to about < 10kb)
> I have done the following to attempt to
> troubleshoot the problem:
>
> 1: I have tried every port on hub w/ no other
> computers hooked in.
>
> 2: I have tried > 3 CAT 5 wires
>
> 3: I have tried 4 nics (2 SMC's 1 Realtek and
>    1 Lynksys)
>
> 4: I have tried 2 hubs (1 is a netgear,
>    I do not know the others brand name,
>    but it does work, as I tested it on
>    other computers in room)
>
> 5: Reinstalling Operating system > 3 times.
>
> 6: Installed other operating systems (Linux
>    [Linux did not experience this problem])
>
> I currently have 3 SMC 10/100 PCI ethernet
> cards in the machine.
> bash-2.04# dmesg | grep address
> rl0: Ethernet address: 00:e0:29:98:17:dd
> rl1: Ethernet address: 00:04:e2:0b:74:97
> rl2: Ethernet address: 00:04:e2:0b:74:7f
> bash-2.04#
>
> I have reinstalled the operating system
> using the GENERIC kernel.
> bash-2.04# uname -a
> FreeBSD xxxxxxx.xxxxxx.tx.home.com
> 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0:
> Mon Nov 20 13:02:55 GMT 2000
> jkh@bento.FreeBSD.org:
> /usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
> i386
> bash-2.04#
> ---------------------------------------
>
> My hub setup is the following:
> _______________________________________
> @home cable modem plugged into UPLINK
> on hub.
> FreeBSD plugged into any of remaining
> ports.
> For testing, I sometimes plug one-two
> other computers into hub (There
> download speed continues to remain
> at approx 300kb while plugged into
> hub regardless of FreeBSD's presense).
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Any help or suggestions regarding this issue
> would be greatly appreciated.
> I have been a Linux user for about 2 years
> and have recently fallen in love with FreeBSD.
> I would really hate to have to go back
> because of a bandwidth issue.
>
> Also, I dont know if it means anything,
> but I do get an ICMP Bandwidth message
> when being nmaped.
> bash-2.04# nmap -P0 127.0.0.1
>
> Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor@insecure.org
> ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
> Jul 30 14:02:52 deicide /kernel:
> icmp-response bandwidth limit 364/200 pps
> Jul 30 14:02:53 deicide /kernel: icmp-response
> bandwidth limit 384/200 pps
> ^C
> caught SIGINT signal, cleaning up
> bash-2.04#

> [...]
---end quoted text---

--
Christian Schreiber, Netrail Network Security Engineer
- Ape will not kill Ape