Date:      Wed, 06 Oct 1999 19:52:19 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Simon Shapiro as Himself <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Minor Device numbers

Simon Shapiro as Himself wrote:

> I am open to any polite suggestion, but my inclination
> is to recommend 32bit major devices where the lower
> 8 bits do exactly what they do today, and the upper
> 24 are as per driver.  The problem with that is that
> the major number is stuck in the middle of the minor.
> Actually was the upper byte on the PDP-11 :-).
> To solve that one would need either separate arguments,
> or turn dev_t to a 64bit integer.

Well, I'd like devfs people to correct me if I'm incorrect, but...

It is my impression that devfs solves your problem, to a certain
extent. As devices get their numbers as they come and go, there is
no need to reserve ranges to specific devices. I wouldn't mind
someone taking this opportunity to explain exactly how devfs deals
with this. :-)

Now, the main point of this message... the solution to all of dev's
problem is devfs (axiom). As a result, nobody is going to help with
work-arounds to your problem, since the correct solution is devfs.
Or, in other words, until devfs comes along, you are not getting a
solution to your problem. :-(

Furthermore, I'm not sure devfs/slice can get into the tree before
RELENG_4 comes along, and that would delay it, and anything
depending on it, until 5.0-RELEASE! Frankly, that's a scenario I'd
rather avoid. I think we'll be seriously impaired if we delay devfs
further.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"