Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:00:56 -0700
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to configure my new toys...

Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to come into the possession of 2 4 unit rackmount
servers last week, with dual PIII 550's, 512 Mb Ram and 2x9.1 gig UW SCSI
drives each and hot swappable power supplies. A bit of an upgrade over my
current Celeron FreeBSD boxes, which have performed admirably by the way.

They came with Winblows 2000 installed (blech!), which I have since nuked
and done a basic install of FreeBSD over top of. Now comes the fun part of
deciding exactly what I'm going to do with them.

Specifically, I'm wondering how to configure/partition the discs. I could
put /usr/home on one drive and everything else on the other but I know I
won't be needing a huge amount of storage on these boxes so that seems
like a bit of a waste.

I've read about Vinum, but the documentation on it seems to be a little
sketchy. Is it possible to use a striped or mirrored Vinum setup as your
main disc in FreeBSD? or, will I get more speed by just having my
partitions split over the individual drives? How fast would a mirrored
setup be? Comparable to a regular IDE drive? Faster, slower?

The eventual plan for these boxes is to upgrade them to dual gig PIII's
(the fastest chips this version of the Intel Server board supports), and
use one as a MySQL server and the other as likely a webserver with apache/
PHP or as a mail server (probably postfix or Qmail).

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery would be most appreciated.

BTW, I'm already reading up on how to configure the kernel to actually
support the 2 CPU's and apparently this motherboard (Intel L440GX+) does
work well according to some older messages I found in the list archive, so
that part is under control.

TIA,
Tom Wiebe