Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 06:10:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dylan Carlson <damage_z@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java on FreeBSD)

--- Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:
> Ted's comments are quite relevant and reasonable.  If you want a proprietary
> solution, why go with FreeBSD?  Conversely, if you want an open solution, why
> get entangled with Java?  Sun has already demonstrated territoriality with
> Java.

Are you saying you don't want FreeBSD useable by commercial applications?
That's insane.   Java is a solid, multi-platform language under a good license
... which has VMs that are implemented by various commercial and non-commercial
groups.

Sun spent the money developing Java and it makes sense that they're trying to
protect it from being forked irresponsibly (as Microsoft has tried to do, and
has happened in the case of Kerberos).

Sun's trying to do the right thing, and bring in revenue at the same time.  I
don't fault them at all.   Between Java and StarOffice/OpenOffice I think
they've done a lot of good things towards making open-source platforms viable.

> That is very wishful thinking.  Compared to the total range of applications
> available for UNIX systems, Java is barely a blip on the radar.  And I

Barely a blip on the radar?   I think your radar is on the fritz.   Java is not
a solution for everything, but it fits most things well.

According to most surveys (Gartner, IDC, etc) report 80% of IT organizations
polled are using Java components of some kind... sixty-nine percent of those
doing in-house development are hiring Java developers.

Whether you take their estimates for gospel or not, they're projecting that
Java will represent 75 percent of new business application development by next
year.

Eh heh, barely a blip.

> It's kind of like asking how to get IIS to run on FreeBSD.  If you want IIS,
> run Windows.

Weak (read: flawed) argument.   You're trying to compare Java with IIS?
Apples and oranges.

You might not have noticed, but, the same group that makes the Apache you love
so much, also makes a Java servlet engine called Tomcat.

But anyways, it's clear to me that some people would prefer to engage in
religious debate than getting things to work, "pure" OSS or not.   FreeBSD is a
platform.  It should be running anything it can.   Your personal disagreements
with Java are irrelevant when compared to the demand and potential of it
running on FreeBSD.

Regards,