Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:34:26 +0100
From:      Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.kleinbus.org>
To:        Volker Stolz <vs+isdn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Data connection from GSM to AVM Fritz?

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 01:06:46PM +0100, Volker Stolz wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to establish a (digital) data-connection from a SonyEricsson Z600
> via Vodafone Germany to a FreeBSD 5.3 machine with an AVM Fritz PCI.
> Unfortunately, the calls are only accepted if I set the b1protocol to "raw".
> With "hdlc", there isn't even a blip (/usr/sbin/isdnd -dn -d0x1f9).
> Does this mean that the call arrives as a voice call instead of data?

Possible. Well, not _voice_, but modem data either tagged as modem data
call or generic audio call.

Usually the phone network translates the gsm data call to modem.

I _think_ it is possible to select some sort of data on the phone side,
which includes V110 and V120; I don't remember whether it includes translation
to full-speed B channel data - but how would that work? GSM data is a serial
data stream, not packetized data which could be translated to HDLC on a B
channel.

Btw, I never managed to make our old Siemens behave with my old Istec, but
I can call a modem at University fine. I'm not sure which side is faulty.

	-is

--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/