Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:06:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Yet another INDEX builder.

--------------enig033F9C059DB12A1F0159DF59

Michel Talon wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> based on the documentation in=20
> http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/freebsdports.html

Why, thank you *so* much for not even mentioning my name and giving me
any credit at all for writing FreeBSD::Portindex, a program that you
mention, but state that cannot even be bothered to try.  That strikes me
as rather sloppy work. =20

It seems to me that you have now reached exactly the same conclusions I
was drawing way back in about 2003 or so, and that Kris has understood
a lot longer than that.  It doesn't matter how hard you try: building the=

ports INDEX from scratch every time is always going to take ages because
of the ridiculous amounts of disk IO involved.

Now, the next step is fairly obvious.  All you need to do is realise that=

90% or so of the work you do to build an INDEX is exactly the same
between successive runs a day apart.  You've recreated about 50% of the p=
erl
code I wrote in python, remarkably closely in some cases.  That's OK -- t=
here
aren't that many solutions to the problems involved, and you're likely to=

have rediscovered many of the same ones.  You're welcome to follow in my
footsteps the rest of the way if you wish.  Although I can't see much poi=
nt
(other than for personal pleasure) in re-implementing exactly the same st=
uff
in just another language.  Feel free to copy any of my code -- it's all B=
SD
licensed -- all I ask is a little ack in the comments.  I'd be interested=
hear if you have any new insights.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20