Date:      Fri, 24 Dec 1999 16:44:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   3.4-STABLE bind/sendmail problem

I CVSup'd 3.4-STABLE yesterday afternoon and rebuilt and installed world
and kernel, upgrading from 3.3-STABLE. I ran Mergemaster then rebooted and
most everything is happy except for a maddening problem that broke
sendmail and seems to be related to the new bind. What I get is a
complaint from sendmail each time it tries to resolve a connection from
local hosts:

  the syslog shows:

  Dec 24 16:21:30 Canopus sendmail[2659]: gethostby*.gethostanswer: asked
  for :13.224.148.205.in-addr-arpa", got "13.224.148.205.in-addr.arpa"

  sendmail's log shows:

  Dec 24 16:21:30 Canopus sendmail[2659]: gethostbyaddr(205.148.224.13)
  failed: 1

The only other change I can see is the response nslookup gives when you
query a local reverse. The previous version would just return the proper
reverse lookup, while it now gives:

 # nslookup 205.148.224.13
   Server:  localhost.orionsys.com
   Address:  127.0.0.1

   Name:  canopus.orionsys.com
   Address:  205.148.224.13
   Aliases:  13.224.148.205.in-addr.arpa  <<<<<<<<<

The old release did NOT return an "aliases" line... the additional return
seems to be what is confusing sendmail. There was mention on another list
of a "rrset_other fixed;" parameter somewhere, but a search of the bind
sources doesn't seem to mention anything like that and it produces an
error in named.conf if I include it.

The misbehaving box's DNS is a slave and the reverse file has not changed.
The sendmail.cf file has not been altered and the previous sendmail
release was also 8.9.3. When I ran Mergemaster, I merged the
/etc/defaults/rc.conf file, adding unmodified all of the new lines while
keeping all the modified lines, and didn't touch the real /etc/rc.conf
file. I've tried removing the reverse zone from the box to no effect. The
only arguments to named are '-u bind -g bind', which I was using before.
I've been thru the FreeBSD mail archives and haven't found anything like
this.

Any ideas what the heck I'm missed?

TIA... and a Merry Christmas!

-Dave