Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 00:56:29 -0500
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: you'll like this.,.. maybe (Seriously Off Topic...)

Well, while we are on the topic of cool nifty things such as these (Im
expecting flames =P...I'll be brief)

The current state's (notice not states') WAN fingerprint network runs on
Dec Alphas using DEC Unix and Open Windows.  Im in the Police Academy here
and about tripped when I saw they were using these sweet machines to do the
electronic fingerprinting.  This network is tied into the National FBI
network somehow but I have no idea how since well..its the Police
Academy...not the Network Academy =P

Jim

At 14:06 11-01-00 +1100, Harry Woodward-Clarke wrote:
>Hi,
>
>my thrippence worth ;')
>
> > Interesting.
> >
> > I once saw an EDS ATM machine at 7-Eleven reboot after a power failure.
> > The little screen showed that it was a 386 machine with 16MB ram. It
> > complained about not having a keyboard connected, then booted (of all
> > things) OS/2, loaded the program manager (which looked like Windows
> > 3.0) and then the ATM application...
> >

>Some express some surprise at ATMs using OS/2. A friend of mine here in
>Oz, who used to work for Philips (when they had a rpesence here in Oz)
>looked after many of the banks ATMs here, and he said that they pretty
>much all (until recently) used OS/2. Let's face it, it's a heck of a lot
>more stable than MeSsy-DOG and friends ;')
>
>He even showed me a magical incantation on the keypad to force a reboot
>and another to take the machine 'off-line' ;') So, when his bank ticked
>him off, he could retaliate :') :'D
>
>I've heard that some newer ATMs are now using WinNT, but by far the
>largest installed base at the moment is OS/2 - 'More than half an
>Operating System' ;')
>
>On a similar topic - I've noticed a few 'Kiosk' style information
>booths, with touch-screen pc's in them. Far too many have been sitting
>at the BSoD :'/
>
>Anyway, I have to get back to wrestling with NT - it's a dirty job, and
>I wish I didn't have to do it.
>
>|-|

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"