Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 17:52:43 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding support for a global src tree serial number

Nate Williams wrote:
> > The easiest solution is the one that I proposed in the PR, which is to
> > use the effective date of the latest date in the $FreeBSD$ files.
>
> Won't work.
>
> > Of course this means going through each source file, but that's only
> > time.
>
> Time is a precious commodity, especially when you talk the entire tree.
> Plus, each user may have a different subset of the tree (some wouldn't
> have kerberos, some wouldn't have doc, some wouldn't have release,
> etc...)
>
> No standard.

Whatever it is has to work on a checked out tree.

The approach described will "work" to get a date that can
then be used to check out a duplicate tree, but with the
caveat that that you can't have a CVSup going at the same
time, and you can't have any local work, and the tree must
have been checked out clean, and there's an unavoidable
latency window caused by the time for checkout.

Getting a serial number isn't the goal; Nate's points are
valid: the serial number has to be able to be used for
something.  If you just want it for releases, then you
could MD5 the ISOs: not useful.

-- Terry