Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2020 13:57:04 -0800
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

On 2020-02-14 04:16, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Not to start a flame war. A purely technical question: what
> technological advantages does the modern FreeBSD have over modern Linux?
>
> Several yeas ago I would say ZFS was a killer feature, but now Linux has
> ZFS too, and AFAIK FreeBSD is going to migrate to Linux's ZFS
> implementation.
>
> What other features do we have to (persuade the management to) prefer
> FreeBSD for new installations?

I see the cultural and historical differences between BSD distributions
and Linux distributions as causes, and the technological differences as
an effect.

When measured according to some key qualities identified by Brooks [1],
I would give the BSD's a better score than the Linux's:

- Programming Systems Product

- Conceptual Integrity

In a commercial environment, the decision should be based upon total
cost of ownership (TCO).  Licensing may be a pass/fail criterion for
options to consider, depending upon application (e.g. embedded).  You
should consider more than two FOSS alternatives, and you should include
the hardware/ virtualization/ cloud dimension.

Your question is one that could challenge a CIO.  A thorough answer
backed by objective data will require effort and expense.

David

[1]
https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/program/Brooks-Mythical-Man-Month-The-Essays-on-Software-Engineering-Anniversary-Edition-2nd-Edition/PGM172844.html