Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:48:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Steve Bishop <steveb@iserver.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: scsi probe at boot time

In my previous life, I had to service many Spectra Logic changers...they
can be very picky with the system probing them while they are still
initializing.

Is the changer initializing (arm moving, etc) when FreeBSD is booting?  If
so, you may want to try using a <much> longer SCSI_DELAY in your kernel's
config and see what happens.  Also, it should be ok if the scsi controller
resets the changer, scans the bus and does not see it since the OS will
scan the bus for itself (and not depend on the card's bios).

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.