Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 14:05:20 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Matthieu Pasini <redbishop@linuxfan.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl Doesn't like XFree-4.0.1

Matthieu Pasini wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm having a problem since i installed Xfree-4.0.1 from the ports.
> XFree 4 is very good working, but perl is complaining .
> I have the following message when i do "whereis"( i have
> seen this error in Eterm which must be using Perl and whereis is using Perl) :
>
> >bash-2.03$ perl
> >perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> >perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
> >       LC_ALL = (unset),
> >      LC_CTYPE = "en_US",
> >        LANG = (unset)
> >   are supported and installed on your system.
> >perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> I did'nt made a make world since the 22 August :
>
> >FreeBSD sniper.domtek.fr 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #10: Tue Aug 22
> >16:14:36 CEST 2000     root@sniper.domtek.fr:/usr/src/sys/compile/SNIPER  i386
>
> Does someone have an idea ?

Perl doesn't like your locale settings, I don't know why XFree4 would
change these, it may just be a coinincidence.

Try settings these environment variables in your profile:
export LANG="en_US.ISO_8859-1"
export LC_ALL="en_US.ISO_8859-1"
export LC_CTYPE="en_US.ISO_8859-1"
Assuming of course that you are an American English speaker. (and based
upon your language setting above).

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org