Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:51:09 -0600
From:      dennis <dennisr@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   5.0 install help - slicing disk problems

Hello, I am trying to install freebsd 5.0 on a Maxtor 52049U4 20G hard
drive. The disk is slaved on ide0.  The fdisk will not let me create a
slice larger than 2G. Further more I can not create any number of slices
  totaling more than 2G.   The mobo is a MSI KT4 ulta with a VIA KT400
chipset.  The onboard ide controller is a VIA VT8235 chipset. The drive
geometry is always reported incorrectly when I boot from the freebsd
installation cdrom.   When I set the geometry manually the size is
reported correctly but I am still unable to slice the disk larger than 2GB.

Are these problems related to the new-ness of my mobo and chipset or am
I just doing something wrong?  Is there a work around for the problem?

I want to dedicate the entire disk to the freebsd installation.

Thanks.