Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 12:29:52 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Commit RFC] More Threads patches.

Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :
> :There are soem more patches to make FreeBSD's thread support more real.
> :I would like to add these to those already committed.
> :Note that this functionality is also useful for FreeBSD native threading
> :and the native FreeBSD port of the Linuxthreads package.
> :
> :The patches are a present conditional on the existance of VM_STACK
> :and VM_USE_STACK_FOR_EXEC and VM_USE_STACK. This provides a level of
> :safety to users who are not experimenting with this code by allowing
> :them to create kernels that are "unchanged".
> :
> :The patches I propose to add are at:
> :http://lt.tar.com/vmsdiff
> :with
> :further descriptions availabel at:
> :http://lt.tar.com/
> :
> :promise to test them better this time :-)
>
>     I think this would be perfect for the new -current, post-split.  There
>     are a bunch of people, including me, who are holding onto pretty major
>     patchsets to commit into the new -current after the split.  I'm not
>     crossing my fingers on stability -- I fully expect there to be some
>     problems considering that you, me, Eivind, and I think John intend to do
>     some serious commits into the new -current branch.

We can't halt progress just for developer convenience..  I have around 6
(or 7) branches from -current that I maintain and keep up to date.  One
has about 200K lines of diffs and probably won't see the light of day in
that form, but is coming out piecemeal.  Things like perforce make this
fairly easy to do and stay sane at the same time.

The patches above seem to work fairly well, apart from some design
tradeoffs (moving sigacts out of struct user always, for example).

Cheers,
-Peter