Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 23:46:11 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jason Carter <jasonc@knology.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-Release Moved disk to another IDE

On Fri, Jan 03, 1997 at 03:24:47PM -0600, Jason Carter wrote:
> Hello,
> I am running freebsd 4.0 release. I bought a cd-burner, and needed to move one of my disks. Well, I understand this causes problems, and I also have figured out that the fixit.flp can help me get this back in order. Anyway, I moved my secondary master (/usr) to my primary slave, I get to the Fixit# prompt, but I have no idea what to do. I have read through the mailing list, and I know it can be done, but I can't find out how to do it. Could someone help?
> Thanks
> Jason
>
> P.S. sorry if this wasn't enough information, I've been running freebsd for awhile, but I'm still a newby, probably always will be ;).

Actually, you probably do not need to go to the fixit.flp if I
understand you correctly. You moved your secondary master IDE HDD to
the primary slave position. You said /usr is on this drive, but where
is the root partition (/), that is what is important. If the root
partition in not on that drive and did not move, just boot into single-
user mode (if you tried to boot to multi-user it will fail and drop to
single-user anyway). mount(8) the root partition read-write, and then
just edit /etc/fstab. If your devices are statically numbered, you'd
change the line like,

  /dev/ad2s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              0       2

To,

  /dev/ad1s1e             /usr            ufs     rw              0       2

If your root partition moved, things are more fun. At the very first
sign of the twirling doo-dad at boot, hit a key. Specify the new boot
device,

  1:ad(1,a)/kernel

And again boot into single user. Fix /etc/fstab and then specify the
correct boot device in /boot/loader.conf.