Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:00:04 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Richard Hodges <rh@source.net>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIC questions

>You currently have a choice of the "en" driver or the HARP system, both of
>which use "routed" PDU encapsulation.  Many, many commercial products want
>"bridged" encapsulation, so be sure to ask what your other end will be
>using.  Also ask if they will use SNAP/LLC headers (they probably will).

The other ends will be most likely all Cisco Catalysts.  As I mentioned
before, I am just getting my feet into the ATM world, and I dont even know
the questions ask, or to know if the questions I am going to ask is off the
wall, so please bear with me :-)  Can an ATM network have a mixture of
encapsulation methods ?  i.e. if I do routed encapsulation, does the other
device have to only speak routed ? or can it speak a mixture ? i.e. routed
to me, and bridged to other PVCs that I am not interested in.

>The "en" driver works great with Adaptec and Efficient 155mb cards.  HARP
>works with Efficient or Fore PCA200E (not "LE") cards.  In principle (!)
>HARP could be persuaded to work with the Adaptec cards.

Apart from the Adaptec cards, are there any other cards based on the
Efficient card ?  Someone mentioned on the list that the SMC works.

Thanks for taking the time to shed light on this matter.  As I said, I am
just starting out to research this all and figure out if FreeBSD can do
what I want it to do in this situation, which is provide a low cost
alternative to deploying Catalysts at all my small sites.

	---Mike