Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:21:56 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Adam Strohl <adams@digitalspark.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall: is it really at the end of its lifecycle?

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Adam Strohl wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Dec 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > VESA syscons, either using libvgl and an array of crude widgets or
> > something like MGR and its widget set, has long been on the wish-list
> > but I didn't even include it in my summary since it's still very much
> > a pipe-dream. :-)
>
> Hmm, this has been a fantasy of mine, as well.  I was hoping to assist
> with the syscons code enough so that we could get a simple primative API
> down for drawing graphics on the screen, but my job seems to be taking up
> any time I'd have to do that now, hopefully that will change :P
>
> However, the syscons cleanup is proceeding anyway from what I've seen on
> the list.
>
> As long as we have basic graphics drawing, we'd be able to impliment our
> own widgets, if need be.  I don't know how big the requirements for libvgl
> are, or how much spare space on that second floppy we have, though.

As I said, I know of two examples of more or less complete GUIs, which are
either ported to libvgl or can be fairly easily ported. Both of them take
about 100kB.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------