Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2020 23:45:18 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 11.3 on Dell PowerEdge R6515 Server with NVME

Hello,

I would like to know if somebody have some experience with FreeBSD on
Dell PowerEdge R6515? We are planing to order new hosted machine from
our service provider. They are offering following configuration:

PowerEdge R6515 Server
AMD EPYC 7302P 3GHz, 16C/32T, 128M Cache (155W) DDR4-3200
2.5" Chassis with up to 10 NVME Drives
Riser Config 1, 1x16 LP PCIe slot
PowerEdge R6515 x4 or x10 Shipping Material
No Quick Sync
Performance Optimized
3200MT/s RDIMMs
16GB RDIMM, 3200MT/s, Dual Rank
iDRAC9,Enterprise x5
Dell 1TB, NVMe, Read Intensive Express Flash, 2.5 SFF Drive, U.2, P4510
with Carrier
No Hard Drive
No Controller
Heatsink for CPU less than 180W
C13 to C14, PDU Style, 10 AMP, 6.5 Feet (2m), Power Cord
Dual, Hot Plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 550W
No Trusted Platform Module
Asset Tag - ProSupport (Website, barcode, Onboard MacAddress)
Order Configuration Shipbox Label (Ship Date, Model, Processor Speed,
HDD Size, RAM)
Broadcom 57416 Dual Port 10 GbE BaseT Network LOM Mezz Card
ReadyRails Static Rails for 2/4-post Racks
C30, No RAID for NVME chassis
Producer Recycling Fund Contribution
PowerEdge R6515/R7515 Motherboard, with 2 x 1Gb Onboard LOM (BCM5720)
Performance BIOS Settings

I don't have experience with R6515, only some old R610 / R620 which work
fine.
Are there any compatibility problems?

My main concern is NVME. This will be my first experience with NVME. Are
there any gotchas witn NVME on FreeBSD? Or kldloading nvme and nvd is
enough and then I can work with it like with any other disk, format to UFS?
We need the best performance for database (MariaDB / MySQL) workload so
I tend to use UFS instead of ZFS.

I will appreciate any experiences, tips and ideas about this machine.

Kind regards
Miroslav Lachman