Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 12:36:36 -0400
From:      utsl@quic.net
To:        Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: graphical frontend for vinum

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:26:22PM +0200, Miguel Mendez wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:16:00PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > You might want to generalize things a bit and make a graphical GUI
> > for GEOM instead.  Eventually vinum will either be absorbed into
> > GEOM as one class or (better) be implemented with a set of simple
> > classes in GEOM.
>
> Excellent idea Poul, I'm currently gathering info on GEOM and I think
> that's the way to go.

Does GEOM provide a better interface than DIOCGDINFO and DIOCGSLICEINFO?
I recently wrote a program to list all the slices and partitions, because
I couldn't find one already in existance. fdisk and disklabel only seem
to work on one disk at a time, and I wanted to see everything.

> Btw, yeah, the Veritas people introduced console logging long time ago,
> I just haven't used vxvm for that long :)

I've used it a lot. It has its good and bad points. Miguel, if you can,
you might want to compare the old and new Veritas GUI's. (2.5 and before
vs. 2.6 and later) Where I used to work, most of us loved one and hated
the other. I liked the old one better, but I was also in the minority
that preferred the CLI.

One of the major problems most of us had with the newer one was that it
made it harder to see the whole system. It was prettier, and it did some
things better, but it was also more cluttered, and harder to navigate.

	---Nathan