Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 21:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Greg <dglynn@vaview7.vavu.vt.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV...

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Greg wrote:

>Here is a little question, I had problems with the permissions
>for files in /dev and so I thought that by running MAKEDEV it would restore
>the default permissions on the dev files that needed it but
>it turns out that now I can't mount any of the partitions on my
>hard drives.

Are you running MAKEDEV as root? Otherwise I am not sure.

>I was thinking of doing a 'MAKEDEV sd0' but I was not sure if it will
>match with the way I have my slices on my drives.  Is this correst
>approach and should I not run just MAKEDEV without any params any more?

This will make the sd0 special files. See 'man MAKEDEV' to discover other
unique arguments to MAKEDEV. You can run MAKEDEV without params without
trouble.

>Also, I'm dropped to a shell during bootup and so / is mounted read-only.

See 'man mount'. Specifically, note that you can use 'mount -u' to upgrade
a partition to read\write access.

Thank you,       | Try some of this. It will show you where you're at.
Jason Wells	 | http://www.freebsd.org/