Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:10:09 -0300
From:      Joey Mingrone <joey@mingrone.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   GEOM: mirroring and journaling

Hello,

I'm attempting to set up a storage server with mirrored and journaled
filesystems.  Initially I did the following:

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=17
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad8 bs=1k count=1
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ad10 bs=1k count=1
gmirror label -vb round-robin gm0 /dev/ad8
gmirror load
gjournal label /dev/mirror/gm0
gjournal load
newfs -O 2 -J /dev/mirror/gm0.journal
mount /dev/mirror/gm0.journal /mnt/mirror2
gmirror insert gm0 /dev/ad10

,but I read in the archives there are potential issues with the
labelling.  Does anyone have any suggestions (or references to
documentation) describing how this could be done?

Are the GEOM parts for doing this sufficiently mature to consider this
safe?  This did seem to be working, but when I did a dump I got kernel
panics like others who have posted recently.

Thanks.