Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 2006 12:05:49 -0700
From:      Mike Durian <durian@shadetreesoftware.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: autotools problems

On Friday 29 December 2006 16:01, Mike Durian wrote:

> I have added /usr/local/gnu-autotools/bin to the head of my PATH, but
> get errors about:
> 	macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
> 	Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
> 	etc.
> I've seen posts where other people have reported similar erros,
> but I've never seen a solution.  I have re-installed all autotool and
> gnu-auto* ports and verified there is nothing too stale in
> /usr/local/share/aclocal.

I think I have identified the root of my problems.  The LIBTOOL definitions
are found in libtool.m4 and libtool.m4 is found in /usr/local/share/aclocal.
However, neither gnu-autotools/bin/aclocal nor aclocal19 search
/usr/local/share/aclocal by default.  They only search
/usr/local/gnu-autotools/share/aclocal-1.9 and /usr/local/share/aclocal19
respectively.  To get either of these tools to find libtool.m4, I needed
to use "-I /usr/local/share/aclocal" as an argument to aclocal.

Doing this allows either aclocal to expand the LIBTOOL macros, but also
gives many warning about underquoted references found in other .m4 files in
/usr/local/share/aclocal, so I'm not sure my solution is the best one.

I'll be submitting a PR containing a new port for mod_cplusplus now that
I've got it building.

mike