Date:      Wed, 8 May 1996 16:32:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tomhavbe@martin.luther.edu (Benjamin Tomhave)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more ideas: HELP!

> When I am on the x-console as root, I try to open an xterm window -- it
> opens, but immediately writes to that xterm the message:
>
> xterm: Can't execvp tcsh
>
> What does this mean and how can I fix it?

tcsh is a package that is installed into /usr/local/bin.

Probably you could fix it by not having xconsole rely on tcsh.

> Next...I can telnet out of the machine.  I can ftp (non-anon) in and out
> of the machine.  The only problem is when you try and login to the
> machine. You type your username.  You type your password.  THEN it tells
> you "Login incorrect."  However, you know for a fact that the computer is
> full of crap because you just logged-into the same account with the same
> username and password from the x-console 2 seconds earlier.

The login program uses a dynamically linked crypt authentication,
whereas the xdm program is (typically) statically linked.

So your xdm is using the MD5 or crypt authentication (whichever it
was linked with) and your login is using the crypt or MD5 authentication
(whichever library was installed last).

What this generally means is that you set your passwords, then you
installed the security distribution.

If you update the login code to the code from -current, it will
recognize *either* MD5 or crypt, and then act accordingly.

You *could* boot into single user mode, remount the root read/write,
and then use "vipw" to remove the root password entirely.

Then use passwd to set the root password.

After you do this, you will be able to login on the console, but
not on xdm (until you replace your xdm).

This is described in the handbook on www.freebsd.org.

Moral: don't set any passwords until you've installed libcrypt, if
you are going to install it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---