Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:34:34 -0500
From:      "Ziller, James" <James.Ziller@qg.com>
To:        'Charles Swiger' <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Dependency hell

So then is there a way that the ports/package system can automatically
handle replacing libfoo.so.3 with libfoo.so.4, so that packages compiled to
use libfoo.so.3 can use libfoo.so.4 instead (assuming the new version is
backward compatable)?  Or can the port link against say libfoo.so (which
should be a symlink to the version of the library that's installed)?

Thanks for the responses,
James